Plan a Group Visit
To reserve by phone, the group leader should call (415) 528-4444. The reservations office is open seven days a week. Hours are 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m., with extended hours until 9:00 p.m. on Thursday. Please note that we don't accept reservations for free days.
Alternatively, you can fill out the online Group Visit Request Form, and an Exploratorium staff member will contact the group leader to complete the trip-planning process.
Hours for group visits are 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. Please call the reservations office to inquire about group visits on Thursday evening. The museum is closed on Monday except for certain holidays.
Group Visit Pricing
Please call for pricing: (415) 528-4444, option 5.
NEW! If you plan to reserve charter buses, please do so after making your group reservation to ensure that your preferred time is available. Charter bus arrival and departure times must be carefully coordinated so they don’t interrupt traffic flow on the Embarcadero. Please discuss bus arrival and departure times with the reservations office. Refer to Bus Routes, which provides directions for charter buses and school buses.
We require that you bring a minimum of one chaperone for every ten youths or children. Please keep in mind that, for the duration of your visit, the chaperones are responsible for the behavior of the young people they are accompanying. It’s a good idea for chaperones to stay with their group, as chaperone involvement can greatly improve the experiences of the children or youths. Chaperones don’t have to be science experts; instead, they can ask open-ended questions that will help the young people explore.
Please provide visible labels with the name of your organization (not individual names) for everyone in your group, including adults. In this way, both the Exploratorium and the chaperones can identify the members of your group without compromising the safety of individuals.
- We accept the following forms of payment for group reservations: checks, traveler’s checks, MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express.
- A deposit in the amount of $50 or the total amount due (whichever amount is less) is due at the time of booking for us to hold your requested date and time of arrival. This deposit will be applied to your total amount due, which must be paid in full prior to arrival. Deposits are nonrefundable if a reservation is cancelled within two weeks of the intended arrival date.
- Payments (apart from the deposit) must be made in one lump sum. Group members paying separately are not eligible for group pricing and will be charged the general admission rates.
- Before checking in, have ready an exact head count of youths, children, and accompanying adults.
- We no longer accept purchase orders as a form of payment. Also, we cannot accept electronic fund transfers (EFTs).
- While Members receive complimentary year-round general admission, these admission privileges do not extend to Group Admission. Please include any Members in your overall head count.
For answers to our most frequently asked questions, please visit our Group FAQ page or contact us at 415.528.4444.