Development Specialist I
Development Regular, Full-Time Position
The Development Specialist I is a member of the Development Department, reporting to the Special Events Manager. This position provides administrative, event planning, and logistical support to the Special Events team and to the entire Development Department as needed. The Special Events team manages two major fundraising events and 8-12 smaller events annually with a revenue goal of $1.7 million. This position requires excellent project and time management skills.
- Assist Special Events Manager in organizing and implementing Special Events program and provide administrative, logistical, and project management support.
- Provide planning and logistical support for all Exploratorium Lab events, including Lab Membership parties, receptions, tours, and excursions.
- Manage the Exploratorium Lab social media presence in cooperation with the institution’s Online Social Engagement team.
- Collaborate with other teams within the Development department to plan and manage events and receptions as needed, including cultivation and stewardship events and the department’s monthly Hospitality Suite.
- Work with other Exploratorium departments to provide programmatic content for events.
- Secure in-kind donations for events and maintain in-kind donor relationships.
- Produce and prepare large mailings; including solicitations letters and support materials, pledge reminders, and event invitations.
- Develop content for donor communications including solicitation letters, invitations, and newsletters, and calendar of events.
- Send invitations, track RSVPs, assist with event logistics, work with outside vendors, and oversee event set-up and break-down.
- Organize and provide support for Development meetings; includes meetings with donors, staff, Board of Directors, and Lab Board.
- Ensure that all donor information is maintained with respect to confidentiality.
- Maintain detailed planning calendar.
- Input and maintain donor and prospect records in the fundraising database (Raiser’s Edge); create and manipulate reports, lists, and spreadsheets as requested.
- BA/BS degree and 4 years of experience in a not-for-profit setting, development office, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Previous event planning experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with Board members or volunteers highly desirable.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment. Must be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and problem-solve.
- Ability to work independently on projects as well as part of a team.
- Strict attention to detail, strong organization skills.
- Impeccable time-management skills.
- Previous experience using e-philanthropy and email marketing systems helpful.
- Incumbent should be committed to the mission of the Exploratorium and bring a positive and enthusiastic approach to their work with a team of dynamic and passionate development professionals.
- Able to exhibit tact and diplomacy in a confidential environment.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Raiser’s Edge for Windows preferred); proficiency with database systems; able to work at computer up to 85% of time.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Ability to move from place to place, use a computer terminal and telephone; able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances; can bend, twist, reach, and grasp.
How to Apply
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt, union position that includes benefits. No phone calls, please.
Please refer to our Application Procedures for instructions when sending your resume and cover letter.
The Exploratorium is committed to a diverse workforce.